CUCM Device Pack
To add a new phone on CUCM, you go to Device –> phone. Sometimes the phone you want to add does not exist in the drop box, because the device model is new or the CUCM version is a bit old. What you can do here is to download a Device Pack of the new phone and install it.
A Device Pack is a set of firmwares contained in a single file. Generally, it has the extension “sgn”. A Device Pack for phone X not only contains a load for it, but also loads for many other phone models.
This is important to know because, once you install a Device Pack in CUCM, your existing phones by default will install the new version of their respective loads. I encountered a case where, after installing a Device Pack, some phones no longer worked. So I had to note down the “Active Load” and put it in the Device Defaults page.
CUCM Device Pack download
To download a Device Pack, you need to have a valid Cisco Channel Partner account. A PICA account or a CCO account is not enough.
Once you have a valid Cisco Partner account, you can download the Device Pack for CUCM at the following path:
Downloads Home -> Products -> Unified Communications -> Call Control -> Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) -> Unified Communications Manager Version xxx
CUCM Device Pack compatibility
Not any Device Pack can work for your CUCM installation. You must check the CUCM version you have and download a Device Pack file that has that version in its name.
For example, a Device Pack file name “cmterm-devicepack18.104.22.16823-1.cop.sgn” is compatible with CUCM version 8.6.2.
CUCM Device Pack installation
I’m going to assume that you have a CUCM cluster of two CUCM servers.
- install an FTP server on your machine. My favourite is 3CDaemon.
- set an FTP user account. Set its home directory.
- Put the Device Pack file in the home directory of your FTP user
- go to Pub
- go to OS Administration
- Install Software
- configure an FTP transfer
- choose “/” as the file directory
- Follow the instructions.
- the installation will take a while.
- Once finished, do a restart
- on OS Administration, go to Version then click on Restart
- Wait until the node fully restarts. You can do a “utils service list” to check if all services are started.
- Now do the same with the Subscriber.
- check if you can add the new phone model (Device -> phone)
- check if your existing phones are working fine, after they downloaded the new loads.